Monday 14 February 2011

I'm here to stay – Snodgrass

Robert Snodgrass reiterated his commitment to a long-term future with Leeds United after rounding off a fine week with a match-winning performance at Bristol City.
Snodgrass scored one goal and created another to inspire Saturday's 2-0 win at Ashton Gate, just days after making his international debut for Scotland in Dublin.

The highly-rated winger has seen his reputation grow substantially during two-and-a-half seasons at Elland Road, and awareness of his talent has grown as a result of both his performances in the Championship and his elevation to Scotland's national squad.

United avoided any major bids for the former Livingston youngster in the January transfer window but his contribution to Leeds' Championship term has raised fears that Snodgrass will be one of several players who attract outside interest in the summer if the club fail to win promotion to the Premier League.

But the 23-year-old, whose contract at Elland Road runs until 2013, insisted he would be loyal to Leeds, saying: "They gave me my chance down here.

"If the club ever wanted to get rid of me then that would be up to them but I've got a contract here and I'm staying put."

Manager Simon Grayson admitted that the pull of Premier League football would be strong for a player of Snodgrass' stock but claimed United's prominent league position – the club lie sixth after their victory at Bristol City – should convince his squad that Leeds have the potential to regain a place in the top flight.

"I want them all to fulfil their ambitions here," Grayson said. "I want to fulfil my ambition as a manager here too."

No comments:

Post a Comment