Thursday 24 March 2011

Grella hopes to use Robins stint to prove his worth Leeds

MIKE Grella has, by his own admission, endured a frustrating time at Leeds United but remains determined to prove his worth to the Elland Road side during his loan spell at Swindon.

The 24-year-old American has failed to hold down a regular place in the first team for the Championship outfit since moving from across the Atlantic two years ago, and has spent the vast majority of this season away from West Yorkshire with spells at Carlisle and now Town.

Grella was highly regarded back in his home country and won numerous awards at youth level, but he has found the English game to be very different to what he was used to and conceded that he is still learning every time he steps out onto the pitch.

The striker has been in good form for Town since joining towards the end of last month, forming one third of a forward line that also includes Calvin Andrew and Matt Ritchie.

And Grella is enjoying the run of regular football, despite being part of a side scrapping for League One survival. However, he admitted he still hopes to force his way into the reckoning back at Leeds.

“It has been good (at Swindon),” he told the Advertiser. “It is frustrating at Leeds a bit, but I love it there. They are probably one of the best clubs in England to play for at the moment and I wouldn't pick another one.

“I had a good loan spell at Carlisle and I am enjoying myself here at the moment, it is good getting games.

“The English game in general is very strong, physical and quick. When I first came it took me a couple of months to adapt but I think I am now starting to understand the game.

“Every footballer continues to learn and continues to adapt to the different games but it has been good. Hopefully I can carry this on.”

Next up for Town and Grella is the trip to leaders Brighton, who boast a formidable home record of 14 wins, four draws and no defeats. But the Robins showed that they will not be overawed by an opponent that, on paper at least, are favourites for victory - having held second-placed Huddersfield to a goalless draw last Saturday.

And Grella believes it is best for the Town players not to set targets ahead of each game and instead just go out with the aim of playing to the best of their ability.

“I was snooping around the internet the other day and I saw that Brighton had not lost at home yet,” he added.

“In terms of expectations, to be honest I would not go there expecting three points, but I also don't expect to go there and get no points.

“We just need to do what we have to do, play the system we put out there and work really hard for each other.

“I think we are more than capable of getting a result, the only expectations from me and the guys is just to do what we are supposed to and then I feel the result will come.”

No comments:

Post a Comment