Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Match Report Leeds 4 Hull City 1

Simon Grayson was forced into changing his starting line-up once again with Jonny Howson and Max Gradel both suspended, and Leigh Bromby injured.Aidy White made his first start of the season, at left-back, Darren O'Dea moved to centre-back, Ramon Nunez lined up on the left of a four-man midfield and Andy Keogh came in for his debut up front alongside Ross McCormack.Keogh, on loan from Wolves, almost made an immediate impact when he got a touch on a Robert Snodgrass free-kick and Paddy Kisnorbo saw his header cleared away. Moments later, Snodgrass tested Peter Gulacsi with a stinging shot.United also carved out an opening on the counter after Andy Lonergan collected a corner and moved the ball out quickly. Nunez raced away and fed McCormack, whose shot was deflected to safety by Joe Dudgeon.
Lonergan was again showing good command of his area and when Hull won a corner, Kisnorbo doing well, the keeper punched clear.United should have gone ahead on 15 minutes. Nunez beat Gulacsi from distance, but the shot came off the underside of the bar and McCormack was unable to keep his follow-up header down.

Moments later, McCormack was celebrating, though, when he got on the end of a Snodgrass cross and followed up his initial header, which was parried, to make it 1-0 to Leeds. It was United's first goal from open play in the league and was a well worked affair with the striker showing good instinct.
While McCormack was delighted to get off the mark, Keogh was also looking a threat and he curled a shot wide within three minutes of Leeds taking the lead.
United were dealt a blow on 21 minutes, however, when a cross came in from the Hull right and Tom Lees poked the ball into his own goal. Lees was unfortunate in that there was a Hull man coming in at the far post, and the defender had to make contact with the cross.
The equaliser saw the game level out somewhat after United's early domination, and Lonergan had to collect a couple of balls into the box after Hull got themselves in good wide positions.
United did have another opportunity leading up to half-time when Keogh again did well and McCormack saw his shot blocked by James Chester, but the goal did come moments later.

It was Lees who was the scorer when he blasted the ball home from the edge of the box on 40 minutes after Gulacsi failed to hold a ball into the box. It was the defender's first goal for the club.
United also had the ball in the net two minutes before the break when McCormack delivered a great finish - but his effort was ruled out for offside.
And Leeds had the ball in the net at the start of the second half and there was no doubt this time. Snodgrass was the scorer with a free-kick which he bent around the Hull wall.
It was the perfect start to the half and gave Leeds a two-goal cushion in a game for the first time since March.
Unsurprisingly, Hull looked to show some urgency after the goal, but United were looking fairly comfortable. When Aaron McLean got an opportunity in front of goal on the hour, Lonergan proved equal to the header and made another good save.
At the other end, United carved out a decent opening and Nunez fired over the bar from distance.
The Honduran made no mistake on 69 minutes when he got on the end of another flowing move forward and hammered the ball beyond Gulacsi to make it 4-1.
United were virtually home and hosed, although the visitors didn't give up the ghost and Matty Fryatt spooned a decent chance over the top for Hull. McLean also fired wide with a first time effort.
The final 15 minutes or so were a test for United to ensure no further goals were conceded as the visitors looked to salvage some pride from the contest.
But Leeds were always in with a chance of adding to the tally, and Snodgrass grazed the bar on 85 minutes with a shot from just outside of the box.
And that was virtually it as United eased towards a confidence boosting first league victory of the season, although Adam Clayton almost rounded off another fine performance at the heart of the midfield by adding a fifth, but he was denied by a Hull defender when the goal was beckoning.

1 comment: