Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Match Report Leeds 1 Coventry 1

Simon Grayson made one enforced change to his side with Paul Rachubka coming in for injured goalkeeper Andy Lonergan.United were on a good run at home and Grayson's side again started on the front foot, Robert Snodgrass proving an early threat. The Scot supplied a lovely cross for Ross McCormack inside the first six minutes, but the striker couldn't keep his effort down.Andy Keogh also got too much on a cross after United threatened again, and his final ball sailed across the front of goal. Moments later, the Irishman came close following a Paul Connolly cross while McCormack was denied by some good defending after a Pugh cross.But Paul Rachubka was the first of the two goalkeepers to be called upon when he made a good save low to his right to deny Sammy Clingan. Lucas Jutkiewicz seized to follow-up, but his shot was high and wide.
Leeds were getting plenty of balls into the box during the opening 15 minutes or so, but Coventry were getting men behind the ball.Equally, when Leeds had some defending to do, men got behind the ball quickly to snuff out any threat the visitors offered.As the game headed past the 20-minute mark, Coventry goalkeeper Joe Murphy was called upon to make his first save when he had to get down well to push a a Snodgrass free-kick around the post.Moments later Murphy could do nothing about a Darren O'Dea strike, though, as the Irishman tucked home United's opener. Connolly supplied a cross which the Coventry defence failed to deal with and O'Dea showed a cool head to finish.United came close to adding a second on the half-hour when McCormack was denied and O'Dea also headed an Adam Clayton cross wide as Leeds enjoyed a good spell of pressure.United had enjoyed the better of the opening period, but the visitors did have another shot on goal five minutes before the break when Rachubka collected a Clingan effort.But Leeds were the more incisive, and McCormack lifted a shot over the bar after great work by Andy Keogh.The lead was no less than United deserved, and Grayson's men started the second half in similar fashion.Coventry had shown little in the way of ambition and appeared to be in damage limitation mode as Leeds pressed for a second. Snodgrass went close for Leeds with one effort while Danny Pugh had a header saved.Murphy also made a vital save to deny Clayton after more good work by the threatening Snodgrass. The former Man City youngster also lifted a shot over the bar.With 20 minutes remaining, Grayson made a double change to his strikeforce with Luciano Becchio and Mikael Forssell coming on. The Finn almost made an immediate impact with a powerful strike which went just wide.The visitors did look to rally briefly, David Bell sent one long range effort flying over the top, but Leeds were fairly comfortable with the lead.Cody McDonald also grazed the bar with a header after good work by Chris Hussey and for the first time Coventry started to show some urgency.The visitors were looking to finish strongly and United were getting men behind the ball as the game headed towards its final moments. Substitute Mika Vayrynen dropped into a midfield which was sitting deep, and it was clear that United were simply looking to close the game out.
But three minutes were added on at the end of 90, and in the last of those centre-back Richard Wood nicked a point for the visitors. Christie pumped a high ball into the box, a back pedalling Rachubka failed to hold it, and Wood was able to scramble the ball home to salvage a draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment