Tuesday 20 December 2011

Lonergan Faces Battle to Regain Place

Leeds goalkeeper Andy Lonergan is braced for a tough fight to win back his place in the starting line-up.The 28-year-old was first choice at Elland Road before fracturing his finger in October and although fit again, he only returned to the side for Saturday's clash with Reading because on-loan Alex McCarthy was not allowed to play against his parent club.Lonergan was lobbed from an acute angle in the second minute by Reading striker Simon Church, which proved to be the winning goal, and was not entirely happy with his display in his comeback match.Lonergan told the club's official website: "There were a few groans from behind, and you think 'should I have come for it or retreated to my line?' but he controlled it well and it was a good finish.
"I was disappointed though because it was my chance to get my place back and I didn't feel as though I took that chance."I thought I'd done well before I got injured, but Alex has done well and I've got to fight for my place back. Whoever is picked next week will get my full backing."

No comments:

Post a Comment