Saturday, 3 March 2012

Lucky "Saints" complete Elland Road Smash n Grab Raid

Neil Warnock made one enforced change to his starting line-up for his first home game in 'official' charge with Leigh Bromby coming in for the injured Alex Bruce at right-back.Elland Road gave Warnock a warm reception as he took to the home dugout for the first time, and his players responded in kind with a high octane start to the match.Adam Clayton had an early close-range effort smothered by Kelvin Davis, but for all their cavalier efforts they were not able to make the most of their dominance before Lambert opened the scoring on 16 minutes.Against the run of play, Jack Cork's cross from the right was headed back across by Tadanari Lee and Lambert was well-placed to hammer home a volley for his 20th league goal of the season.
Warnock joined the rest of the home crowd in screaming for a penalty when a shot struck Jose Fonte's elbow inside the area, but referee Nigel Miller ignored the appeals.New Leeds captain Robert Snodgrass, Ross McCormack and Aidan White all went close but were unable to beat Davis in the Southampton goal, but they went into the break on terms having lost defender Leigh Bromby to injury midway through the half.Despite being ahead it was Saints manager Nigel Adkins who made the changes at half-time, bringing on Guly do Prado and Dean Hammond.Warnock responded by bringing on Danny Webber for his debut 10 minutes into the second half as Leeds continued to enjoy the bulk of the attacking possession.Davis was a rock for Southampton as he first made an exceptional close-range double-save from Luciano Becchio before, just moments later, denied Webber with a fingertip save.Lloyd Sam came on with a quarter of an hour remaining, but even though he injected some pace and impetus into a Leeds team that was becoming increasingly frustrated he could not help them find a way through.The closest they came was during an almighty scramble in the six-yard box following a corner,Unbelievably, and summing up Leeds evening, one attack ended with two headers hitting the bar after Southampton failed to clear, the second one coming from Darren O'Dea.But, amazingly, Southampton held on to walk away with all three points to deny United.

No comments:

Post a Comment