Sunday, 1 April 2012

Match Report Leeds 0 Watford 2

Neil Warnock made one change to his starting line-up with the suspended Darren O'Dea being replaced by Paul Connolly, who returned at right-back.But United got off to the worst possible start, conceding inside the opening five minutes. Chris Iwelumo was the goalscorer after Troy Deeney ended an advancing run by slipping the ball into his strike partner's path.United did look to respond immediately, Robert Snodgrass had a shot blocked and Alex Bruce headed the resultant corner over the bar. A free-kick was also directed over the top, but when Watford threatened again on 20 minutes, Andy Lonergan had to spread himself well to deny Deeney.It was a pretty untidy opening half hour or so with plenty of misplaced passes and scrappy challenges, yet neither side was able to take a firm grip on proceedings.There was a stoppage in the time leading up to half-time when Aidy White took another bang on the ankle, and he received lengthy treatment. Almost immediately afterwards, Bruce needed treatment for a head injury after he went up for a challenge with Iwelumo.Four minutes of time were added on and in the first minute, Snodgrass forced Tomasz Kusczak into making a good save. Lonergan also made a good save in the final minute to deny Deeney.
Warnock made a change at half-time, withdrawing White due to the injury and replacing him with Danny Webber. The second half started with Adam Clayton picking up his 10th booking of the season, meaning he will now miss the games against Reading and Derby.United started the second half on the front foot and looked to press Watford, but as the game hit the hour mark, Leeds still had nothing to show and the visitors were still looking to move on the break.With 23 minutes remaining, Warnock made his second change, Ramon Nunez replacing Clayton in the middle of the park. And, his first touch was to send a shot curling just wide of the upright from outside of the box.The game continued to be scrappy, and Snodgrass had a penalty shout waved away when he drilled a shot against a Watford defender.The game should have been all over on 82 minutes when Deeney cashed in on a defensive slip to find himself one-one-one with Lonergan, yet the Leeds keeper made a terrific save before Bruce cleared the follow-up off the line, allowing Lonergan to make a second vital stop to deny the visitors.But with less than two minutes remaining, Watford did wrap it up. Lonergan made a good save to deny Deeney, following good work by Sean Murray, but the ball fell to Iwelumo who drilled home the visitors second of the game.To compound United's woes, Paul Connolly received his marching orders in stoppage time for a second bookable offence.

No comments:

Post a Comment