Saturday, 9 February 2013

Wolves 2-2 Leeds

Neil Warnock made four changes to the starting line-up for the game against Wolves. Debuts were handed to deadline day signings Steve Morison and Stephen Warnock, with Aidy White and El-Hadji Diouf making way. The other changes were in midfield with  Ross Barkley and Rudy Austin making way for Paul Green and David Norris. The first minute of the match saw the first chance of the game fall to Leeds, with a deflected effort from Norris hitting the roof of the net, resulting in two early corners. It was a bright start by United against a Wolves side who looked nervy at the back. Ross McCormack sent a shot wide while Paul Green also drilled an effort just wide of the upright. The home side also had an early chance when Kevin Doyle almost capitalised on a defensive mistake but Paddy Kenny saved well. United debutant Morison was the next player to threaten the Wolves goal when he sent a header just over the bar after McCormack floated a free kick his way. Wolves, who looked dangerous on the break, had the ball in the net before the 20 minute mark but an offside flag ruled out Sylvan Ebanks-Blake's effort. United continued to look the most likely, Morison's movement and workrate was particularly impressive during a good opening half-hour. But while Wolves were clearly vulnerable at the back they were a threat going forward and Kenny made a good save to deny Bakary Sako. Another chance came United's way after the half-hour mark when some good build up play from Michael Brown and Paul Green led to a shot from McCormack which went just wide of the right hand post. United continued to dominate until half time but had no goals to show for their efforts at the break. The home side started the second half on the front foot when Jamie O'Hara headed wide from close range. The pressure continued from the home side, and on 54 minutes Wolves took the lead when Lee Peltier turned a cross into his own net. United looked to respond immediately and Norris sent a shot over the bar. With United chasing the game Wolves looked like scoring again just after the hour mark with Kenny making two great saves in the space of two second half minutes. But it was United who equalised in the 64th minute when McCormack played through an inch perfect pass for Luke Varney to deliver a terrific curling finish. It was the home side's turn to look to respond and Green blocked a Christophe Berra header on the line. With chances coming thick and fast for both sides, it was United's goalscorer who again went close with an effort that Carl Ikeme turned around the post. United were awarded a penalty in the 77th minute when Sam Byram was brought down by the covering Sako. McCormack stepped up and slotted the ball home. It was Wolves who were playing catch up as the clock started to countdown and both Tom Lees and Byram were called upon to make vital defensive headers. Four minutes were added to the 90 and in the first of those Wolves got themselves on level terms when Danny Batth got on the end of a ball into the box to head past Kenny.

No comments:

Post a Comment