Saturday 27 August 2011

Paul Jewell :Leeds Will Feel Hard Done By

Blues boss Paul Jewell admitted that Leeds will have felt hard done by after Town’s 2-1 victory at Portman Road. Jason Scotland and Keith Andrews netted late goals for the Blues after the visitors had been reduced to 10 men.Jewell said: “Let’s have it right, Leeds are a good team and they outplayed us in the first half, we’ve got to say that.

“When you’ve lost by five and seven it doesn’t matter what you say, the players are edgy, very, very nervous and on the back foot.

“It’s difficult when you’ve just been humiliated. I saw Leeds last week at West Ham and they were excellent and they should have won.

“They will feel a little bit hard done by. Last week, we didn’t deserve any luck, let’s get that right, but we had three or four decisions that went against us.

“Today we had a couple that went our way and a deflection. Nothing’s all rosy in the garden, we know we’ve got a lot of work to do. But tonight’s not a night to analyse it, it’s just a night to go ‘thank Christ for that!’."

The Blues boss had praise for sub Jason Scotland: “He came back and has worked hard in pre-season. When I was naming the subs today I looked at his record against Leeds and he’s got a decent record against them from when he was at Swansea. So, I stuck him on the bench and he scored one and made one.”

Leeds boss Simon Grayson was unhappy with the decision which led to Aidy White being sent off for a foul on Jay Emmanuel-Thomas but Jewell felt there was no argument: “I just said to Larry [Simon Grayson] that if he’s the last man then he has to go. Larry seems to think it might have been a nudge but a nudge isn’t a foul.

“One’s 6ft 3 and the other kid’s 5ft 7. He lives round the corner from me in Leeds and is a friend of my kids! He’s a lovely kid as well.

“I was more interested in getting a penalty than getting the lad sent off. But once he’s last man and he brings him down, he’s got to go.”

The Town manager did agree with Grayson that Leeds should have been awarded a spotkick when Carlos Edwards fouled Max Gradel just before the Blues' winner: “I didn’t have a great view but it looked a penalty to me. I asked Carlos after the game and he said it was 50-50 which probably tells me all I need to know.”

Whites boss Simon Grayson thought the match hinged on the red card: “I think the whole game changed on the sending off decision. I thought in the first half we were outstanding.

“An Ipswich team which has been put together with some internationals and has cost a lot of money never created a chance against us.”

Grayson is considering an appeal as he feels Aidy White was fouled first: “I’ve seen it, and people might differ with me, but it’s a freekick on Aidy White to start with.

“He and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas are running through, Emmanuel-Thomas has nudged him in the back and he’s fallen over, which is why Aidy’s brought him down. That changed the game because we weren’t in any danger of losing that match today.”

Grayson also felt his side should have been given a spotkick: “Max Gradel could have had a penalty on another day. If it was a freekick outside the box we would have got it, inside it isn’t given.

“I’m not here to slaughter the referee but decisions can change the complexion of games and the whole result of games.”

No comments:

Post a Comment