Wednesday 8 December 2010

Johnson tells Leeds fans: 'I'm not being greedy'

Bradley Johnson has hit back at Leeds chairman Ken Bates - and accused the club of trying to corner him into signing a new contract.
The midfielder’s current deal is up at the end of the season and he has so far rejected the offer of fresh terms.
That has led to fierce criticism from chairman Ken Bates and the 23-year-old was booed by Leeds fans during the 2-1 win over Crystal Palace at the weekend.
But Johnson insists he simply wants to be paid the same as other first-team regulars.
“The chairman came out with something in the programme which didn’t fight my corner and everyone’s got their opinions and the fans took it his way,” he told Drive Time.
“My commitment from day one when I signed for Leeds has showed in every game I’ve played in. I’ve always given 100 per cent and I am committed to Leeds.
“I love Leeds, I love the fans and I love the city and I want to be here. It’s not a case of I’ve turned down a deal because I don’t want to be here - I want equality.
“I’m not being greedy. I’m not asking to be the highest paid player at the club because I shouldn’t be. I just want equality.”
Bates has accused Johnson of being disrespectful to chief executive Shaun Harvey by failing to turn up for planned contract talks.
But Johnson has criticised the club for trying to cut his representatives out of contract talks.
He hit back: "I was called on the day by the manager and told there was going to be a meeting at a certain time and I was called two hours prior to the meeting saying that I've got be there.
"And I'd made plans. My parents were coming up from London, the snow is bad in Leeds and so I've had to go and pick them up from the station and said sorry I couldn't make it.
"But I don't feel I should be going into meetings with the chairman, the manager and the chief exec. That's what I have got agents for and that's what every player has agents for.
"I didn't feel like I had to go and see them by myself - to be cornered. That's what I've got agents for and their job is to do their best for me. My agents have been up here three times to see the chief exec but it hasn't worked out and now they've tried to get me on my own."

No comments:

Post a Comment