Saturday, 17 September 2011

Match Report: Leeds 2 Bristol City 1

Simon Grayson welcomed back Adam Clayton and Aidy White to his starting line-up as his side went in search of back to back league wins for the first time this season. The visiting side included former Leeds midfielder Neil Kilkenny, making his return to Elland Road following his summer switch to Bristol City.And it was a perfect start to the game for Leeds with the returning Clayton scoring with a terrific left foot strike inside four minutes. Robert Snodgrass, who had looked very lively during the opening moments, was the architect and Clayton converted his pull-back with a good finish.Leeds threatened again moments later, but Andy Keogh was crowded out, and in reply Marvin Elliott put a header wide for the home side.But Bristol City were on the back foot again when Ramon Nunez instigated a break from midfield to feed Keogh, but the striker was denied by David James.It was 1-1 on 11 minutes, though, courtesy of none other than Kilkenny, who scored from the edge of the box with a shot that clipped the bar.United immediately fashioned out another chance, but an offside flag was raised, and it was a frenetic opening to proceedings at Elland Road.
Nunez also lifted a shot over the top from distance after trying his luck in the middle of the park. Ross McCormack was next to go close when Cole Skuse did well to get a foot on his shot to turn it for a corner. From the set-play, Darren O'Dea forced a save out of James.It was an open game and Andy Lonergan had to be alert to deal with a backpass from Darren O'Dea as Albert Adomah looked to cash in.Leeds looked to finish the half, strongly, though and Bristol City had some defending to do under a little pressure.United also had the first effort of the second half when McCormack screwed a shot wide. Moments later, Snodgrass lifted an effort over the bar after some good build-play.On 58 minutes, Grayson made his first change of the game, introducing Luciano Becchio in place of Nunez. Becchio arrived at the same point against Crystal Palace last weekend and made a decisive impact on the game.But there was drama on 64 minutes when Paddy Kisnorbo was adjudged to have fouled Nicky Maynard and a penalty was awarded. The challenge appeared to be on the edge of the area, but Kisnorbo was ordered off and the spot-kick was awarded.
Lonergan again proved his worth to Leeds though by making a good save to deny Maynard from 12 yards.
Following the dismissal, which will see Kisnorbo miss Tuesday's game against Man United, Grayson sacrificed Keogh in the front-line to bolster his defence with Leigh Bromby joining the fray. And he followed that by introducing Mikael Forssell in place of Snodgrass.The visitors were looking to make the extra man count and United had some defending to do in terms of balls being played into the box.
And just as another frustrating afternoon looked to be on the cards, United grabbed a late goal. Becchio got on the end of a ball into the box and McCormack was on hand to stab the ball over the line to make it 2-1 to Leeds.As the game headed into stopage time it took a decisive clearance from Tom Lees to deal with one cross and it was clear United were going to have to dig deep to secure the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment